Friday, January 12, 2007

Movie Reviews - The New World

Well, I watched this last night and to tell you the truth it was an odd experience. It sounds really strange to say this, it was an incredibly slow film but at the same time really good.

By the end of it the senses were slowed down the point that it became and experience rather than a story...

I remember trying to watch Terrence Malick's "The Thin Red Line" before and having to switch it off but I think that after watching the New World, I kind of understand the pace that he wants to tell a story. So I might go back to it soon.

I know it all sound a bit poncy but it really was more of a nice experience than a feature of sorts.

Must admit, I thought I knew the Pocahantis myth. I say myth because in real life she and John Smith has no personal relationship to speak of (see here for more details but try to watch the film first as this will spoil things a bit).

Anyway, if you can handle the slow / looks good type film go and grab a copy. One thing I have to warn you of is Colin Farrell's accent, it might get on your nerves a bit but see how you go...

1 comment:

Megan said...

I really enjoyed this movie, but it IS a different experience, to say the least. I love Colin's accent! But then I'm rather partial to the boy to begin with.

I think, to watch this movie, you must suspend any normal expectations. It's something to experience rather than watch.