Wednesday, November 01, 2006

The Male Pill

Now, this is a funny one. I remember that there had been talk of this for a while and to tell you the truth, I quite like the idea. This week scientists have completed “100% effective trials” with no apparent side effects.

I passed a news stand today and noticed the headline “Would you trust your man to take the pill?”. Now I see what the headline is getting at, we’re not exactly the best at this sort of thing. Come to think of it, I don’t think I’ve ever finished a course of antibiotics in my life? Having said that, my girlfriend can probably be a bit forgetful as well, we all can! You only have to walk down any inner city street to see that she’s not the only one who’s been forgetting…

I guess that women are going to have to be a bit weary of drunken blokes saying “trust me, I’m on the pill” but at the end of the day whether the reason is trying not to catch some genital endangering disease or getting pregnant, contraception is a pretty selfish thing. I would take a male pill or wear a prophylactic (I love that word!) mainly because I don’t want to have kids or my dick drop off and believe it or not ladies I have a lot of friends who also don’t want any unexpected kids or their dicks unexpectedly (or expectedly for that matter…) falling off so they act responsibly.

I think the final reason that it’ll be a good idea is because if it has fewer side effects than the female version then surely us guys should be taking it. Anyway I’m sure we’ll see in time what happens but I reckon even for some selfish reasons it’ll end up pretty popular.

No comments: